TRACKTOWN 2012 - HAYWARD FIELD
Official Site for the 2012 US Olympic Trials  - Track & Field  June 21 - July 1, 2012

Practice Hours on Hayward


Practice for credentialed athletes in the Hayward Field competition areas will be available June 19–21 and June 26-27 at the following times:
Tuesday, June 19:  9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 20:   9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 21:  8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday, June 26:  9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 27:  9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Practice will NOT be allowed on the competition track on June 22-25 and June 28-July1.

Specifically for safety purposes, practice for the various track & field events will be allowed only during the following times:

Track
9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Tue 6/19)
9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Wed 6/20)
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Thu 6/21)
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Tue 6/26)
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Wed 6/27)

Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump,
Pole Vault & Javelin
12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Tue 6/19)
12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Wed 6/20)
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Thu 6/21)
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Tue 6/26)
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Wed 6/27)

Discus & Shot Put
9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Tue 6/19)
9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m.– 6:00 p.m. (Wed 6/20)
8:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m. & 2:00 p.m.– 4:00 p.m. (Thu 6/21)
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (Tue 6/26)
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Wed 6/27)

All competition equipment and medical services will be available for athlete use during these practice periods.

 

Practice during competition days will be available at Lane Community College. See link at top of this page: Practice Facilities

 

Historic Hayward Field

 

The University of Oregon's Hayward Field, one of the most famous track and field facilities in the world, is named for Bill Hayward, who coached the University of Oregon's men's team from 1904-1947. Hayward Field was initially constructed for football in 1919, and was founded at that season's homecoming contest. Two years later, a six-lane cinder track was installed and a full schedule of track events was transferred from Kincaid Field on the opposite edge of campus. The facility was utilized for both sports until the opening of Autzen Stadium in 1967.

 

Hayward Field entertained its ninth NCAA Championships in 2001 — the most of any collegiate venue in recent history.  Previous national collegiate championships were staged in Eugene in 1962, 1964, 1972, 1978, 1984, 1988, 1991 and 1996.

 

In June 2001, Hayward Field welcomed its sixth national championship (AAU/TAC/USA), only two years after hosting the 1999 U.S. Championships. In addition, it's the only facility to ever host three consecutive U.S. Olympic Trials (1972, 1976, 1980). The centerpiece of "TrackTown USA", Hayward Field stands as the nation's most fabled track and field facility thanks to its track and field-only usage and covered grandstands comparable to famous European venues. Referred to as the "Carnegie Hall" of U.S. track and field venues, it also plays host annually to the nation's finest single-day track and field contest, the Prefontaine Classic, which features the top mix of national and international talent on American soil each year.

 

 

The Genesis of Duck Track & Field

 


The birth of track and field on the UO campus dates back to 1895. The student body (then numbering 353) built a quarter-mile dirt track at Kincaid Field, now the site of 13th Avenue and Kincaid Street, to practice for their annual field day, held in conjunction with commencement exercises. In 1900, the Ducks started competing in dual meets against regional universities and opponents and sported a 13-3 record in their first nine years — including an undefeated stretch from 1906-1909. The first upgrade to the Kincaid track came in 1904 when it was covered partially to facilitate inclement-weather practice and competition. By 1912 the sport had started to outgrow the facility, and the university started to explore other possibilities.

 

 

 

Birth of Hayward Field

 


Although collegiate sports went on hiatus temporarily in 1917 because of the first World War, a full schedule of meets returned in 1919 — the same year Hayward Field was built for football. Two years later, a six-lane cinder track bordering the football playing field was installed for $10,000, including a 220-yard straightway on the east end of the track. Bleachers were transferred from Kincaid Field, and in 1925, the wooden east grandstand was added. In 1928, the students paid to cover the bleachers on the north end that remained until 1950.

 

 

The Transition to Track & Field Only
With the construction of Autzen Stadium for football in 1967, Hayward Field became a track & field only venue. One of the stadium's most famous former nuances was its south end bleachers that obscured nearly a quarter of the track. Oregon runners and eventual Olympians Otis Davis and Wade Bell were famed for trailing the field as they disappeared behind the bleachers, only to soon emerge into daylight with a commanding lead. The cinder track lasted until 1970 when the facility received its first all-weather surface. Five years later, the west grandstands were completely rebuilt to their current layout.

 

 

Improvements

 


Prior to the 2001 NCAA Championships, the oval and field event runways were resurfaced with a new polyurethane surface and repainted to an approximate cost of $346,000. Another pair of improvements in 2007 to the east and west grandstands — painting and structural improvements — totaled $219,000. Similar track resurfacing and painting was also conducted in the fall of 1995 for a cost of $266,000.

 

 

The $2-million Bowerman Building was completed in 1992 and dedicated to Bill Bowerman and his family who donated funds necessary to construct the all-purpose building. The two-story, 15,000-foot brick building houses the university's hailed International Institute for Sport and Human Performance along with athletic treatment facilities, locker rooms and meeting rooms. Memorabilia and various exhibits commemorate great athletes, teams and moments of the program's history.

 

In 1983, the infield was leveled to remove the crown to provide the necessary specifications for the throwing events. The shot put area was redesigned, the javelin runway lengthened and the high jump apron enlarged. A resurfaced all-weather inner lane for jogging also was added.

 

Bowerman also led a fund drive in 1975 to rebuild the west grandstand. The new set-up also created indoor facilities underneath the seating with a 80-meter straightaway, pits for the long jump and high jump, and screened rings for shot and discus.

 

 

Hayward Field History

 


The Bill Hayward Era:

Bill Hayward (1868-1947) coached track and field at Oregon for 44 years until his death. He was on the coaching staff for six Olympic teams and coached four world record holders, six American record holders, four NCAA champions and nine Olympic team members. Hayward was a charter inductee into Oregon's Athletic Hall of Fame, opened in the fall of 1992.

 

The Bill Bowerman Era:

Bill Bowerman, one of the world's leading track and field authorities, forged a brilliant 114-20 dual meet record over a 24-year (1949-1972) career at Oregon. Bowerman had a winning record each year except one and his teams were undefeated in dual meets 10 times. Only five schools ever defeated his team and only UCLA and USC had winning records against the Ducks. Oregon won four NCAA titles, was runner-up twice and finished among the top 10 teams on 16 occasions under Bowerman, who also was enshrined in Oregon's Hall of Fame.

 

The Bill Dellinger Era:

In his 26-year tenure as a head coach, Bill Dellinger's success matched an equally successful athletic career for the Ducks as a three-time Olympic athlete (1956-1960-1964) and NCAA champion under Bowerman. The Grants Pass, Ore., native coached the Ducks to one NCAA track title in 1984, four NCAA harrier titles (1971-1973-1974-1977) and seven additional runner-up NCAA cross country finishes. His athletes earned 41 All-America honors in cross country and 105 in track and field, including 22 NCAA titles between the two sports, while his dual teams finished with top-five rankings 16 times, including number-one rankings in 1979-89-95. A U.S. Olympic distance coach in 1984, he also was enshrined in the U.S. Track and Field Hall of Fame in December, 2001.

 

In preparation for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Track and Field, historic Hayward Field was extensively renovated. Renovations included the installation of television-quality lights and infrastructure improvements, the reconfiguration of the infield, which includes dual high jump aprons, dual jumps runways, dual shot rings, etc. and a  resurfacing of the track.

 

 

 

Getting Around Hayward Field

 

 

A new pedestrian walkway behind the West Grandstand allows spectators to move freely around most of Hayward Field’s perimeter. Spectators will not be permitted along the walkway in front of the Bowerman Building at the northwest corner of the track. Wheelchair access to the north end will be through the Powell Plaza gate. Permanent restrooms are located at the south end of the West Grandstand and along the walkway under the East Grandstand. Additional portable facilities will also be available. Water fountains flowing with mountain-fresh McKenzie River water are located at five spots around the stadium.